Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ivanovic Improves in Second Match


Ivanovic looked much more confident in her second round match then she did in her previous match. Her ball toss was less erratic, and she hit enough winners to make up for her unforced errors. Ivanovic dispatched of the Italian qualifier, Alberta Brianti 6-3 6-2.
Ivanovic was the first to break in the opening set, however she saw her own serve broken right back. Ivanovic didn't get down on herself and she was able to get another break and a 5-2 lead. Brianti served at 9 deuce game which saw Ivanovic earn 2 set points, but the Italian forced Ivanovic to serve out the set, which she did easily.
Ivanovic started the second set with a bang quickly breaking Brianti twice to lead 3-0. Ivanovic was then lost 2 straight games. Ivanovic was able to pick her game right back up to take the next three games and the match. Ivanovic will face the 29th seed Alisa Kleybanova in the third round.
"You know, I think I improved a lot since my first match, Ivanovic said. I'm very pleased with that. But, you know, there is still some areas I have to work on and improve. As you progress through the tournament you come against tougher opponents, so, you know, you automatically raise your level. I think I still have to work a little bit on my serve. It was much better today, but it's still something I need to improve."
When asked if Ivanovic feels more pressure this year compared to last year Ivanovic said no because she had this pressure at last years French Open where she came into that as the defending finalist and was able to use the pressure to win her first grand slam title.

No comments: